[Dixielandjazz] Re: Turk at Carnegie

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Mar 1 13:17:27 PST 2006

Phil and DJML--
     The Stomp Off LP was recorded live at
Carnegie Hall on January 10, 1987, and it's
interesting that the late Tommy Loy (formerly of
DJML) was the recording engineer.
     The first two songs were indeed by the Jim
Cullum Jazz Band, with Jim Cullum (cornet), Allan
Vaché (clarinet), Ed Hubble (trombone), John
Sheridan (piano), Howard Elkins (banjo, guitar),
Jack Wyatt (string bass), and Ed Torres (drums):

1. "Freakish"
2. "Washboard Blues"

     Then the Hot Antic Jazz Band played four
songs (with the personnel you mention), but the
order of the songs on my LP was

3. "Story Book Ball"
4. "Morocco Blues"
5. "Rubber Tree Plant"
6. "Turk's Blues"

     Then comes Turk's band, with the personnel
you mention, and the 12th song is indeed "Bay
City" by the combined bands, lasting for 8'12".

     Hope this helps.

     Dan

**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**         "It's hard to make things foolproof because fools
**          are so ingenious."  -- unknown