[Dixielandjazz] Microphones

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Wed Mar 1 10:32:30 PST 2006

This week end we did a Mardi Gras gig at a local nursing home.  In the past,
the house PA system really sucked bad with static and gross distortion.
There was some amplification needed because the band is up above the people
looking into a very long room and has a side room that has it's ceiling
about eye level with the bands. The band, especially vocals can't be heard
in the side rooms.  Some sound reinforcement is needed.

 This year when I walked in there were huge speakers sitting everywhere (8
plus monitor). The equipment looked like it had seen one too many rock
concert riots and the guys running it like refugees from a strange religious
cult.  One of them was a big man about 6' 2 or 3" and a lot over weight
wearing bib overalls and had a beard down to mid chest.  The speaker
cabinets were the very large rock concert size and a had huge sound board.

Their microphones and cables were dented and had duct tape around them.
They had my mike on a boom and one of those three legged stands.  About the
first thing I did was knock the damned thing over.  You would have thought
that it was a $2000 studio mike.  The cornet guy's was balanced on a step
and kept falling over into the band.  The Banjo guy got two mikes. The vocal
mike was pointed away from him and he wouldn't touch it.  Never mind it was
turned off anyway.  I walked over and turned it toward him and the sound guy
ran up and glared at me.  I wasn't sure why the drummer had a full
complement of mikes.  He only had a bass, snare, one cymbal and a wood
block/cow bell.  There were more mikes than the guy had stuff.  Tuba player
had a mike but I think it must have been turned off.

The first thing I said was where did they get these clowns.

The instant I started playing my soprano there were about 10 old peoples
heads fell off. (usually there are only three or four) It gave me a real
sense of power and omnipotence.

My second comment was picked up on the PA and that was "just think how much
better this would sound like if they used the $20 mikes."

Fortunately after about 10 minutes they got the system more or less balanced
out.  I'm so looking forward to next year at this place.
Larry Walton