[Dixielandjazz] Trombone/Tenor discussion

Edmetzsr at aol.com Edmetzsr at aol.com
Fri Jun 30 11:36:46 PDT 2006

Listmates, I'd like to weigh in on this interesting topic, in that our band
uses both, as have the various Bob Cat units since 1937 when they formed. As a
 matter of fact, at times we employ 2 tenors and trombone. Clearly, they can
and  do stay out of one another's way - for a whole host of reasons. There are
times  when the arrangements call for trombone playing freely against written
soli type  parts for the other three horns (tpt, cl, & ten). There are times
when the  clarinet plays freely against tpt, ten & tbn. We also do things with
2  sopranos and tpt (playing a third part). Yes, and we often do play with
all four  horns and NO music.
    Back some years ago, we had several charts in the  book in which the two
tenors played the Turk Murphy trombone parts (in tunes  like "Minstrels Of
Annie Street" and "Trombone Rag") in unison, much to the  chagrin of the purists,
but to the liking of those who were willing to take the  blinders off. Like
Paul Edgerton says in his enlightening post, if you listen,  all things are
possible. To which I add, even getting the tenor(s) to play the  tailgate parts.
Enjoy it all!!!!
Ed Metz