[Dixielandjazz] Tenor Sax for Trombone

Mike mike at railroadstjazzwest.com
Thu Jun 29 17:27:03 PDT 2006

The styles are different because not only are the instruments different
but the way they are played are different as well. I think a tenor can
work in a pinch but most people who listen to OKOM want and expect to
heat that trombone player glissing and playing those countermelody
lines. To me, tenor just doesn't cut it when it comes to attempting to
replace the trombone. Besides, can you imagine songs like these being
played on tenor:

Trombone Cholly
Kid Ory's Creole Trombone
Trombone Rag

MIke

My question is does the style played by the Tenor differ much from what

--
"They're not particular about whether you're playing a flatted fifth or
a ruptured 129th as long as they can dance to it."

-John Birks "Dizzy" Gillespie (1917-1993)