[Dixielandjazz] slick slides???

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Tue Jun 27 06:04:07 PDT 2006

Well now that the long thread about trombones and Yamaha wonderhorns has
sort of died down, I'll add a few horn related lines--

My son recently found a two record (LP) set in an obscure Maine antique  shop
and presented it to me for my birthday The records are attractively  packaged
in a heavy cardboard case with a 24 page description of the recording
methods, etc. They are titled The Civil War, an obvious misnomer as everyone  here
knows it was the War Between the States-but I digress-

Mercury Records recorded the four sides in 1961 to commemorate the
centennial of the War. In addition to recording the actual sounds of the weapons  used,
they recorded the music played. Two original band books were used, the 26
North Carolina and the 3rd New Hampshire, representing the songs played by both
sides . Eastman School of Music conductor John Fennell conducted the two
ensembles which faithfully played all the parts in the original band  books-

But what amazed me was the use of the original band instruments from the
War, totally rebuilt for the occasion. I was impressed for two reasons-the
excellent intonation and technique possible on ancient, conical bore horns  played
over the shoulder pointing backwards. These instruments had string  operated
lever valves, and were without water keys. As the instruments filled  with
water (spit, for you non players) the intonation went south, and the  musician had
to stop playing and drain the water. Of course, the mouthpieces  were those
with the razor sharp rims-no cushion rims here!

The other amazing feature was the difficult arrangements in the band
books-far beyond anything playable by even a good high school band today. The Eb
soprano cornet parts spit out notes as rapidly as the early Gatling guns, and
even the lower brass had intricate parts.

The opening tune for the 26 North Carolina was ":Dixie" (it was politically
correct to play it
then) and it was so spirited I felt like enlisting!

My point? There were some amazing musicians in the mid nineteenth century
and also some amazing horns, even though they would be regarded politely as
"crude" by today's Yamaha standards and modern players. I had no idea that Civil
War musical units could sound this good-

Too bad they didn't play any OKOM-

      Ted