[Dixielandjazz] "...playing a jag-time tune..."

Bob Romans cellblk7 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 26 08:17:06 PDT 2006

In the Robert Service poem, "The Shooting Of Dan McGrew", he writes, "the kid that handles the music box was playing a jag-time tune". Now, what the hell is a jag-time tune, and was it a misprint that should have said "ragtime tune"?
The reason I ask is yesterday I discovered that our very own wonderful "Mr. Play Everything", Jim Maihack, is heading to Skagway, Alaska, right after the 4th of July to play honky-tonk piano in the Red Onion Saloon until the end August, and when I drop in on him sometime this summer, I want to request a "jag-time tune", and pretend that I'm in the Malamute Saloon...in Dawson!
Anyone want to attempt an answer?
Warmest regards,
Bob Romans,
1617 Lakeshore Drive,