[Dixielandjazz] Dizzy & McPartland

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Sun Jun 25 16:06:11 PDT 2006

Some where in the basement is a four record collection (78) of jazz by  Dizzy
and McPartland. The recordings may be by MGM-the centers are yellow. On  the
records is a "Battle of jazz" ear;y fifties style, with Diz playing his bop
version of a tune, followed by McPartland on the other side playing a straight
Dixie version of the same tune. On the last record they get together on "How
High the Moon"  After a brief bop followed by Dixie version the two begin a
swinging version made up of repeated riffs-the piano player becomes so excited
 he leaves the keyboard and grabs a horn also, Three trumpets swing on the
riffs  to the end. This is as near to "Dixie" as Dizzy got, at least from my
collection. Unfortunately, my 78 rpm no longer plays (mice ate the speakers) so
I haven't heard the sides in  years. Actually, haven't even seen them,  but I
remember that last record REALLY swung!

                                Ted