[Dixielandjazz] maybe a bit OT, but musical and marketing a fringe musical style...

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Sun Jun 25 14:16:48 PDT 2006

As you say, David, a bit OT, but here in Norway we have a flourishing Brass
Band and Symphonic Wind Band movement with about 70 000 practising musicians
that play this type of music along with the more traditional music. Assuming
that all these musicians are members of maybe 50-strong bands, with maybe
four concerts a year attracting about 70 people in the audience, then this
is a pretty substantial market. And not to forget the annual processions on
Independence Day (May 17th) that attract crowds of several thousands.

I might add that a large proportion of the composers are Americans.

Musical content: a popular march with the school bands is "Dixieland Strut".

Cheers

Bob Smith