[Dixielandjazz] Slide vs Valve trombone

Vaxtrpts at aol.com Vaxtrpts at aol.com
Thu Jun 22 10:57:22 PDT 2006

In a message dated 6/22/2006 9:52:53 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
jim at kashprod.com writes:

So,  anyone that doesn't slide around like Kid Ory, & uses speed & agility  on
the slide sounds like a valve trombonist?  Other really fast  trombonists
come to mind, such as Frank Rossolino.  None of them  sounded like a valve
trombonist.  They sound like very talented slide  trombonists.  I never, ever
confused JJ's style with a valve trombone  as a kid.  The thought never
entered my mind, and it amazes me that  anyone that knows the trombone could
make such a  remark.

Perfectly said, Jim.  Having worked with some of the "fastest"  trombone
players alive, I can honestly say that NONE of them ever tried or  wanted to sound
like a valve trombone.
They ARE two different instruments and do sound very different from one
another. (To anybody who takes the time to HEAR the difference.)
Back to lurking.
Mike Vax