[Dixielandjazz] Valve Trombones

Robert Smith robert.smith at tele2.no
Thu Jun 22 05:39:43 PDT 2006

Thanks, David

I can see the point of the folded slide trombone when introducing youngsters
to the instrument, and who haven't got the reach for a standard tenor
trombone. Apart from being (I imagine) cumbersome to handle, the slide
movements are very small (as in the slide trumpet), and given the weight of
a double slide, would be difficult to position accurately.

I found Bob Beecher's home page very interesting - thanks very much for the
tip. I have, in fact, played two valve instruments for short whiles. In 1969
I played a euphonium for a half season, and in the mid-1970's I played
French Horn in our local symphony orchestra on Tuesday evenings, and slide
trombone in our Symphonic Wind Band on Wednesday evenings. Since 1947 when I
first produced a note on the slide trombone, my only two aberrations are the
ones noted above.

Cheers

Bob