[Dixielandjazz] Slide/valve

Dave Hanson jazzdude39 at comcast.net
Mon Jun 19 15:18:20 PDT 2006

Jim & Don,

I agree with your comparison of the slide vs. valve thing. When I went to New Orleans in 1966 I had a King 3B slide and valve combo. I hadn't played the valve section much, so on this steady I would play the slide on one set and then go to the valve.
I learned a valuable lesson.....they are two different and distinct horns. I was told I sounded
far different on the slide than on the valve, but the club owner let me play them anyway.
Jim Trimble and Bruce Paulson came into town with Buddy Rich and I loaned them the valve section as they were both playing 3B's. The first time Buddy heard Jim playing, he told him to get rid of it and the same with Bruce. I'll never forget that one, but all three of us enjoyed many after hours session using that valve section.
Funny thing is, I don't remember what happened to that horn. Oh well !

Regards,

Dave Hanson