[Dixielandjazz] Slide/valve

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Jun 19 13:04:33 PDT 2006

Don wrote:
To my sinner ways ( a love for the valve trombone that gets so many sneers
on this list from slide snobs<G>) this fine player had a nice, melodic style
that blended well in the ensembles and were easy on the ear.

Hoping I'm not one of those "snobs" you mention, Don, I just consider the
valve trombone as being a completely different horn than the slide trombone.
I don't think that anyone should try to compare them.  Also, and this is not
a slur (pun intented!), most valve trombone players have come from being
trumpet players, so their improvisational ideas come from there, also, which
gives them a completely different sound to the horn than their slippier
cousins.

Jim