[Dixielandjazz] Re-creations - is it jazz?

patcooke77 at yahoo.com patcooke77 at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 16 06:12:14 PDT 2006

Louis was once asked "what is jazz?"  He doged the question with the reply "if you got to ask, you'll never know"

Oscar Peterson asked to define jazz called it "instant composition."

For peoople like Oscar, instant composition was no big challenge.  But most of us at least rehearse licks in different keys and modes, store them in our mental repertoire, and sort of glue them together in a performance.  True "instant composition" is a little rarer than most of us would like to think.

I'm not going to attemt to define jazz.  There are at least as many definitions as there are people on this list.  Whatever it means to you....enjoy it.

Feel free to post your definition.

Pat Cooke