[Dixielandjazz] Dixieland Re-Creations

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jun 15 13:26:59 PDT 2006

"Fr M J (Mike) Logsdon" <mjl at ix.netcom.com>

>> Steve Wrote:
>> To me, at least, a note for note re-creation is not really jazz

> Mike answered:
> A wee bit overly hair-splitting, eh, Steve?  If what's being preserved is a
> jazz performance or style, surely it can be called jazz, just not deliberately
> impromptu/innovative jazz?

Yes, perhaps, but then I am a hair splitter. Just my opinion, but I don't
think they are preserving anything since the originals are already
preserved. They are re-preserving perhaps? :-) VBG.

For me, (again an opinion) note for note reading and/or re-creations, while
they may be art because they are done by humans and do not occur in nature,
they are not jazz, but rather music.

Jazz for me contains creative, on the spot, improvisation by the musos.
Music composed in here and now real time.

Cheers,
Steve