[Dixielandjazz] Marsalis (was wax cylinders)

Anton Crouch anton.crouch at optusnet.com.au
Wed Jun 14 19:58:10 PDT 2006

Hello all

Fr Mike wrote:
>Marsalis ... "Tom Cat Blues"...
>And listen to the sample.  Definitely not what I expected!,

I wonder what Mike expected - does he not know the original?   :-)

Going on the clips on Amazon, I won't be rushing out to buy the CD.
Marsalis does a passable imitation of George Mitchell but his King Oliver
is not much chop.

The broader question is - why do modern players do these recreations and/or
homages? The originals are easy to come by and I am sceptical of the claims
that modern recordings bring people to the originals.

On a technical matter, the Oliver/Morton duets were disc recordings and
probably the first commercially issued electrical recordings.

All the best
Anton