[Dixielandjazz] July 4th Gigs

Steve barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 14 07:49:49 PDT 2006

Jara Queeto <jara at queeto.com> wrote

>> On Jun 13, 2006, at 8:36 AM, Steve barbone wrote:

>> Like Dave said, tongue firmly in cheek, yeah, there are no July 4th
>> gigs in the Bay Area. :-) VBG. Damn, here's a town looking for Dixieland
>> and they don't know who to call? What, are we still keeping Dixieland a
>> secret?

> Actually, the booker did ask if my band could do the gig. I know him
> personally. But unfortunately, we are not available to play on that
> day. Our trombone player is in Thailand and I'm tied up all summer
> long with the San Francisco Mime Troupe. http://sfmt.org
>
> If we were available, we'd probably have done the big Independence
> Day Parade in Alameda, my hometown.
>
> Jara Queeto
> BBX Bandleader
> http://myspace.com/blueboneexpress

I hear you Jara. Those of us who are in "working" Dixieland Bands have no
trouble getting gigs on July 4 in the USA. Last year the DJML took an
informal poll on which bands had July 4 gigs. Only a few of us responded
that we did. Others, including one from the Bay Area, complained that there
was no Dixieland work on July 4. :-) VBG.

I'm with you, there are more gigs available on July 4 than we can handle.

Hey, what is your trombone player looking for in Thailand. :-) VBG

Cheers,
Steve Barbone
Barbone Street Jazz Band
http://www.barbonestreet.com