[Dixielandjazz] Instrument Preferences

patcooke77 at yahoo.com patcooke77 at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 13 11:47:34 PDT 2006

"Werlins in New Orleans!   My, I miss that place."

Indeed!  I miss it, too.  I ued to work there as a teen, in the instrument repair department.  There was even a volin maker there.  I worked at the main store on Canal street, which is now a restaurant.  Then they opened the store on Decatur, and one in Metairie.  Now they are all closed.....They went out of business befoe the storm.  All the other music stores just sell guitars, drums, keyboards, and sound equipment..... Nary a brass or reed instrument.  Nowadays, the instrument repair business is all farmed out to individuals, and the store simply doubles the price to actually make more than the guy who did the work.  Bitsy Werlein opened a store selling just pianos in Metairie, but hurricane Katrina wiped it out.  There are no signs of rebuilding yet, over 9 months later.

Pat Cooke
New Orleans