FW: [Dixielandjazz] New trombone

L Patrick Briody lpbriody at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 12 14:42:33 PDT 2006

Listmates,
  Last December on Jim's advice I gave myself a Christmas present of a 691 and I've been delighted with it albeit I haven't had an opportunity tom play as much as I would have liked - back problems and then cataract surgery.
  Regarding the latter, I learned something that may be of use to other older brass players.
  I mentioned to the Kash man that I had recently had cataract
surgery and asked the doctor when I could drive since I had a gig in a few
days. Curiously I thought,  he asked what instrument I played.  When I
answered the trombone, he was immediately concerned and strongly
suggested I lay off playing for a few weeks.  Actually, I had visions of Louis Armstrong's big eyes.
I bring this up since some brass players like myself may not know
that playing shortly after cataract surgery is a no-no and the doc
won't necessarily think to bring it up.  Kash indicated his trumpet player
blew his horn early after the same operation and had considerable
pain.
      Regards,
      Pat Briody

Jim Kashishian <jim at kashprod.com> wrote:
  Dave Hanson wrote:

Jim,

Don't you mean a Yamaha model 691, 8" bell, .508 bore. I was scratching my
head when I first read your email about a model 191, as the 600 series is
their pro line. Anyway I have one as well as the smaller jazz horn the 697Z
which is like a King 2B on steroids, only the single leadpipe however.
Yamaha is making some great horns with the help of pro players and I hope
they continue doing so

Yes, of course, Dave. It is Steve that has bought what he referred to as
the 191, but was probably a typo, meaning a 691. I've had three of the 691,
and will go for it again soon, as my horns don't last me much more that
about 8 yrs.

Jim