[Dixielandjazz] My Space

Rob McCallum rakmccallum at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 12 08:50:32 PDT 2006

Hi all,

My Space is a great site to create a band Web site for free.  You can upload
4 tracks from your CD and program it to start playing immediately when
someone logs on to the Web page.  You can also add pictures and personalize
the page etc.  One drawback is that for people (potential clients) to
contact you through your My Space page, they have to either be a member also
or have to sign up for My Space (which is free, but does take a few minutes
to set up an account etc.--Something that some people who visit your site
may not be willing to do).  However, when you're sending e-mails out to
people asking them to listen to your sound samples, make sure they already
have all of your appropriate contact info.

Another feature is the blog.  If you have some kind of band e-newsletter or
whatever, or have compiled a list of e-mail addresses of your regulars, you
can sign them up to receive an e-mail update when you post a new blog
(e-mail comes with a link for them to click on which goes to it).  That way,
if you blog something like, "Hey fans, we've just added a new gig at Sample
jazz club," that message can be sent out to your fan list with very little
effort on your part.

When you load on your sound samples, you can opt for people who view your
Web page to download them.  I would recommend this because that's the way of
the future.  If someone likes your band, they can download it off of your
Web site and send it to others who may also like it.  Don't worry about
people stealing your music : )

Our band, Solar Jazz, has just set up a My Space site.  Once I get it
looking the way I want it, I'll send it out to the list.  It's a great tool
and is also quite hip (even well known national pop bands now have My Space
sites).

All the best,
Rob McCallum