[Dixielandjazz] CD royalty question...

dave at creolejazz.com dave at creolejazz.com
Sat Jun 10 11:12:26 PDT 2006

Greetings, DJMLers. I almost hate to bring it up because it's been discussed
several times in the last few years and it always gets me (and a bunch of
you) pissed off but we're about to record another CD and I'd like your
opinion IF YOU KNOW THE RIGHT ANSWER.

Which tunes are public domain and which aren't? (Let me rephrase...) Are
there trad jazz tunes we can record and not pay royalties to the ASCAP/BMI
vultures?

In all the massive and phenomenally confusing info out there, is it possible
that the answer is in the date the tune was composed? For example, any tune
written before 1925 is public domain. (??)

IF YOU KNOW the answer or where I can get it, please, I'm interested to hear
from you. Thanks.

Dave
"It's a treat to beat your feet."
The New Creole Jazz Band