[Dixielandjazz] taking along the little lady( or not so little)

Cebuisle2 at aol.com Cebuisle2 at aol.com
Sat Jun 10 08:13:17 PDT 2006

Hi list-

I usually reply off list to some of you-but thought I would add one of  my
not-so-fond memories to the long running thread on above subject. Enjoy  or
delete now, up to you.

I played a long running Sat. nite gig years ago at a dance hall DownEast
(Maine)
It paid poorly, especially if it  snowed that day, so I car pooled  with the
leader who always brought his spouse along. The trip was long, dark and  cold
over many miles of frozen two lane blacktop, slowed by frost heaves and
potholes.

The wife immediately hit the dance floor as soon as we started  playing , No
other wives were along, we were just a hot quartet. My  "driver" would glower
at her as she snuggled up to her various partners,  especially on the slow
numbers, and I could see his neck turn redder and redder  as he played. On the
way home he would always accuse her of improper dancing,  and she would fire
back at him. It always turned into a full scale argument all  the way back, while
it kept me awake in the back seat. Don't believe they ever  divorced, But I
early on decided not to bring a spouse to these jobs-

                                                             Ted