[Dixielandjazz] ONEROUS CONTRACT CLAUSES

Charlie Hull charlie at easysounds.com
Thu Jun 8 16:49:09 PDT 2006

I've never encountered one stated exactly like Steve's example, but have
run into several where the company lawyer insisted that the band assume
liability for any injuries or damages caused by, or involving, the band
members or equipment. Not being an attorney I 'borrowed' some language
from a municipal contract and have an attachment to my basic contract
that has thus far satisfied the lawyers.

I also have a standard attachment that spells out, in clear but
non-offensive language, that the band will select the program, not
practice with or accompany non-band singers or musicians, that the band
will not have to show up more than an hour early to set up or stay more
than 15 minutes past the performance to tear down and depart, that we
will have unobstructed access to the stage, etc.

I seldom have to use the two attachments, using the Hold Harmless on
only when lawyers say 'or else', and the Playing Conditions on only when
I sense that the customer wants to run the band. Of course we will
accommodate any of the items in paragraph two above, but only for extra
bucks.

If anyone wants copies contact me off list.

Charlie Hull
K Street Ramblers Jazz Band
charlie at easysounds.com