[Dixielandjazz] The Wife

coastsidegiraffe at comcast.net coastsidegiraffe at comcast.net
Wed Jun 7 15:07:21 PDT 2006

Larry Walton replies to Richard Stevens post regarding reasons to bring "The Wife"

"My point was that bringing a wife or girl friend just to have her there is
an unprofessional thing and can be really bad.

Since I don't do it, I really don't discuss it with clients but I have had
quite a few write across the contract NO WIVES OR GUESTS!  These are people
who, it seems, have had bad experiences with band members inviting people
in.  They don't want to feed them, give them drinks or let them in free.  I
have played a lot of $60-$100 a plate weddings and parties.  They don't even
let the band eat or have a table at that rate.

I still think that it's a poor idea to bring wives or girl friends to the
average gig.  Now if it's something special, by invitation, public or there
is a definite reason as you listed several then that's another matter."

(polite snips)

I couldn't agree more.  When I said in my previous posting that I go everywhere I can with my musician, I should have been more specific.  I would never accompany him to a private function unless I'm specifically invited.  I go to his gigs that are open to the public, the local jazz clubs, festivals, etc. as well as recording sessions and an occasional rehearsal.  To show up uninvited and expect to let in free, wined and dined,  or whatever would be really poor taste!

Karen
Pacifica, CA