[Dixielandjazz] Spouses interests in OKOM.

Lowell Busching verbose at daktel.com
Tue Jun 6 09:04:01 PDT 2006

Never having been married (I have never shot myself in the foot either I
might add) I should probably not be responding to this thread, but
something I remember from the earlier day of LA Classic Jazz and later
Sweet and Hot festivals may be of interest to the DJML members if they
have not thought about it before.

In this case there was a couple where the wife was an ardent fan of OKOM
and was one of the number one volunteers for the festivals. Although I
do not believe she was a musician, she had a consuming interest in the
music and helping promote it. Her husband did not share her interest in
OKOM at all, I found out in conversation once. He not only attended all
the events with her, but was a very productive member of the festival
staff!  He was a businessman and brought all kinds of expertise for
putting on such events with him. He was highly involved in that respect.
  THAT he enjoyed. He got his and she got hers.

Bottom line to the married members of the list, or ones with significant
others who do not share your interest in OKOM or jazz in general.  Find
out if they have some sort of interest or expertise that could be
utilized by your club or festival and get them involved in that, unless
of course you enjoy your "free" time away from them. :-)  I am sure many
of you do this already, so no need to respond, but that aspect is not
always obvious to the "casual observer".  Just a suggestion.

Lowell aka Mad Dawg