[Dixielandjazz] The "partners" thing.

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Tue Jun 6 07:12:15 PDT 2006

My taste in music isn't the same as my wife's but it's not that much
different.

She dislikes big band jazz for the most part and anything that doesn't have
a tune.

I started playing professionally on a more or less regular basis at 15
before we started going with me.  We got married at 18 and I was in College
majoring on the Oboe.  Now that's enough to strain any marriage.

My profession is and always has been music.  Like a brick layer I don't
expect my wife to share my love of brick laying to a point that she has to
admire every brick I lay and I certainly don't expect her to come along to
watch me lay them.

I learned quite early that to bring a young attractive woman to a place
where I was working and where she had nothing to do but drink and attract
male admirers was stupid.

Many bands are really social clubs and not really businesses.  If the
"wife's club" comes along then I question the professionalism of the group
and I don't mean to imply that the music is inferior.  I think the entourage
was more common in the past than now.

I was an excellent Oboe player but my wife's toleration wore very thin after
listening to me practice day in and day out.

Personally I never needed to have a built in audience.

Having said all that one of the musicians that I most admire brings his wife
always and his past two wives have been worshipers where as his first wife
wasn't and he divorced her.  His present wife comes to absolutely
everything.  I think she wants to keep her wife job.  Contrasting that, the
band is made up of the top pro's in town and only rarely do their wives show
up even to public concerts.  We are playing a park concert tomorrow night so
I'll take a count.
Larry
St. Louis