[Dixielandjazz] Sound

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Mon Jun 5 16:03:47 PDT 2006

I actually hadn't thought about that  and supplying a feed sounds like a
good idea.

When I'm using my Eon's  I use a Mixer and rarely I use  the volume controls
on the Eon's to adjust volume.  With the mixer I can adjust individual
instruments and voices from my seat.  I can also get a feed off of one of
the Eon's.

I ran sound for the AF band I was in for about 8 years and for awhile I ran
the board within the band.  I really can't recommend that very highly unless
you have done extensive sound checks and know exactly where those sliders
need to be for each mike and that the mikes are set up the same each time.
There's nothing substitutes for ears out where the people are.  I got pretty
good at it but still.....  I think the key is knowing your system.  It works
a whole lot better if the sound man is where the people are.  The biggest
drawback here is the snake.  That's usually manageable in a concert
situation but much more difficult for dancing.

The problem is that you have to set up all the band stuff, mikes, pa, etc.
and they get paid to make it loud.  It seems to me that the only difference
is their power amp and speakers.

It's still a good idea though.  As you said, if there is a decent monitor
system then you can work inside the band better.

Two weeks ago I worked a Dixie job and the room was really large. (Grand
Regency Ballroom) They had sound set up and we asked if we could talk to the
sound man.  The lady in charge was so busy with 1500 people milling around
the room and eating snacks she said oh for get it.  Thank you Lord.  Those
that wanted to hear us did by coming closer.  It worked out great.

Two of the guys on the job were from the St. Louis Stompers, Steve Lilly on
Cornet and Joe Schulte on Tuba.  What a fun gig and the icing on the cake it
paid very well too.
Larry
St. Louis