[Dixielandjazz] Sound

Cees van den Heuvel heu at bart.nl
Mon Jun 5 10:25:23 PDT 2006

I always setup my very tiny sound system (enough for about 150 people),
use that as monitor system and offfer the sound people a stereo line out to
amplify.
This way I'm in complete control of the mix and the soundmen can be blamed
when it's too loud....... I can do it within 10 minutes.
Only when there must be quick changes on one stage this won't work.
Then I talk to the sound people and ask them to put the complete mix
on all of the monitors: exactly the same that goes out to the audience.
This way I'm still in control of the balance by approaching of moving away
from the mikes. My musicians are professional enough to do the same.
Trying to lower the sound of the bass and the bass drum is another
problem to be solved, especially when they are used to rock bands....
But "please shut down the bass drum mike and adjust the bass to a level
that it can be heard.....in our music we don't have to "feel" it resonating
in our body" will do the trick....in most cases.

Cees van den Heuvel
http://www.revivaljassband.nl