FW: FW: [Dixielandjazz] Playing/owning...

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Mon Jun 5 02:03:47 PDT 2006

Ted (Cebuisle2 at aol.com) wrote to me privately about my comments on violin,
trombone, and oboe as being particularly difficult instruments to learn.  He
wrote:

Yes, you are correct. Intonation presents a BIG problem on violin and
trombone, and mastering the double reed (where you hold your breath in
instead of out) a problem with oboe (and bassoon) .  But I once switched a
kid from alto sax to trombone. The kid's orthodontist later said a full year
was saved on the braces by the switch. The sax mouthpiece worked against the
braces, the trombone mouthpiece worked with the braces.

That's quite funny to hear, as the reason that I am a honker today is due to
my grandmother being concerned about my buck teeth.  Down to the music shop
we went, and she enquired about the clarinet.  The salesman said that would
have to opposite effect she was looking for, and that the trumpet or
trombone would push on my teeth.  Therefore, I play trombone.

The braces came on several years after I started to play, so I had to adapt
to the new shape of my mouth first with the braces, then with the braces
off.  No products in those days to protect the insides of your lips, so I
had blood on my teeth when I played usually!  Anyway, thanks to my
grandmother (for the visit to the music store), and my mother (for spending
big bucks for braces), I am the handsome man I am today.  (Trombonists are
normally humble people, but I will overlook that matter this time!)

It's funny when one brings up the "difficulty in learning which instrument"
subject, people refuse to believe my statement above.  Perhaps because they
think I'm adding a particular leaning to it as I happen to play the
trombone.  Nevertheless, the fact there are no stopping points on the slide
(intonation was mentioned by Ted), the staccatto, legato, slurring
distinctions required of tongue & slide coordination that I earlier
mentioned, require me to stick to my guns.  The trombone is a difficult
instrument to learn & to stay on top of.

Jim