[Dixielandjazz] Brother Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale

Dan Augustine ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
Sun Jun 4 13:39:23 PDT 2006

DJMLers and others--
     This message is somewhat tangential to dixieland, so if it offend
thee, pluck it out forthwith.
     OK, now that it's just you and me, in the latest issue of _All
about Beer_ (to which i have been subscribing for lo these last 15
years or so, since i collect beers but not the bottles and have about
1,050 different beers on my ever-present beerlist) i saw an
advertisement (page 75, if you're checking up on me) for Brother
Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale, brewed by the North Coast Brewing
in Fort Bragg, California (way the hell up on the Mendocino coast).
     The advertisement continues, "A Monk's Dream.  Straight, No
Chaser."  "This dark strong ale is rich and robust with an ABV
[alcohol by volume] of 9% and is packaged in a 750 ml bottle with a
traditional cork and wire finish.  The beer is released in
association with the Thelonious Monk Institute of Jazz, and North
Coast Brewing is making a contribution to the Institute for every
case of Brother Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale sold, to support
Jazz education."  It concludes with two URLs: www.monkinstitute.org
and  www.northcoastbrewing.com
     Now _there's_ a thought!  If i gave to a jazz-education charity
even 1% of the money i spent on beer, the country would be crawling
with jazz-tuba players!  Or if our favorite jazz artists or bands
were associated with a fine alcoholic beverage (in a positive sense,
of course), just think of the what could be done with donations to
our cause!  (Nah.  Paperwork would kill us . . .)

     Dan
--
**  Dan Augustine  --  Austin, Texas  --  ds.augustine at mail.utexas.edu
**    "Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind
**     is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but
**    the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza."  --  Dave Barry