[Dixielandjazz] Playing/owning..what's easiest

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Fri Jun 2 15:35:11 PDT 2006

Obviously you haven't heard many beginning sax players.  Every instrument
has it's difficult parts.  With the sax it seems to take about 10 years if
ever to get a really good sound. I had a method book that the preface said
in it's very first line.  "The Saxophone is the easiest instrument to play
badly." In that way it's a lot like the Oboe.  A good sound seems to come
earlier on brass.  The clarinet while a difficult instrument is probably the
easiest one to get a characteristic sound right off.  The clarinet has other
pit falls.  The trombone has it's own unique problems such as intonation
that eclipse the tonal problems.

I would agree that it takes most kids at least a year to start sounding like
their horn should.  Sax players have the most difficulty with overcoming
poor tone and I will say it again, that many never get the sound that it's
capable of or even a good sound.  The reason being that tone production is a
whole lot more complicated and subtle than just blowing on the thing, buying
the best horn around or endlessly trying different reeds and mouthpieces.

The best thing about almost every other beginning instrument is that they
are a whole lot cheaper than Saxes.

There is no easiest instrument but there may be one that  a kid might do
better on than some other.  It's very individual.

You hear all these things every time you start a new group of kids.  The
parents always want to know which is the right one.  By the way, couple the
low price to start the drums  and the perception that drums are easy, leads
to a lot of  kids starting the wrong instrument.  What usually happens is
that you end up with about 10 kids on drums with 8 of them having ADHD.
Percussion instruments are boring  to start (the kids all want to be rock
stars and go nuts ) and worse still it requires a lot of concentration.
This is a down hill situation.

If I were going to rate the instruments I would list percussion (drums)
among the more difficult to start and get good on.  Drums are probably the
least understood by prospective musicians and their parents.
Larry
St. Louis