[Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jubilee

Tom Belmessieri tbelmo at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 1 16:23:38 PDT 2006

>Bill Sharp wrote:
>During the Memorial Day weekend was held one of the one of the world's
>largest and best known trad jazz festivals in the world, yet there seems to
>be little discussion of it by DJMl members, of whom I know there were
>several at the festival.

My thoughts on the Jubilee...and this may be my perspective alone.

I go to hear the music, not to be entertained between numbers.  But, since
most attendees would take entertainment over music, if given the choice,
Bill's point is valid for the survival of the jubilee.  Personally speaking,
there are less and less really good dixieland bands playing there any more
and so I only go up for one day to hear them.  A real shame for what used to
be strickly a dixieland festival.  The number of sets and venues have been
reduced for all the bands.  It has changed to one that includes all kinds of
music.  I've heard country, rock & roll, swing, lounge, etc.  It was changed
to increase the attendance but last year they lost money.  I don't know how
they fared this year yet.  I fear that, in the not too distant future, they
may take the word "jazz" out of the title completely since OKOM is getting
squeezed out slowly.

My 2 cents.
Tom B.