FW: [Dixielandjazz] Sacramento Jubilee

Jim Kashishian jim at kashprod.com
Thu Jun 1 15:33:53 PDT 2006

Bill Sharp wrote:
During the Memorial Day weekend was held one of the one of the world's
largest and best known trad jazz festivals in the world, yet there seems to
be little discussion of it by DJMl members, of whom I know there were
several at the festival.

This same thought crossed my mind as I weaved my way through post after post
about a bunch of "chicks" most of us don't really care about.  They make no
waves in Europe, for their comments or their music, by the way!  Actually, I
only know they are politically outspoken due to reading DJML!

So, where are all the good folks that attended the festival?  Are your
fingers asleep from having sat on them during the less active band shows
Bill talks about?

Critical sentence in Bill's post was the following snip:
"simply by the energy and enthusiasm the band generates when they play".
Not to sound like I'm preaching (I like to leave that to others on the list
that are more prone to such things), but there's the secret to having a good
band (as long as the main ingredient is there....that they also are good
musicians).

Us jazzers always like to quote "if it swings....", but we should add to
that "if it is happy & exciting.....".

Jim