[Dixielandjazz] Flaming sousaphone

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Thu Jun 1 09:07:58 PDT 2006

Hey, that's my man David Silverman.  And, there not be a more crazy
man.  We played in the UCLA marching band back in the early 80s.  He
went on to be a Hollywood loser.  You know the type, co-creator of the
unpopular show The Simpsons.  I hear he will direct the upcoming
Simpsons movie.  Geez, how low can you get.

He almost had some cool breaks though.  Ron Howard had him pinned to
direct a Curious George film, but it never happened.  He was hired by
Pixar to co-direct Monsters and Co. with Pete Doctor, but Disney didn't
like his Simpson style of humor and he spent most of the time on the
sidelines.

He came to see me and my band at the Orange County jazz festival last
year and showed me clips of his first version of the horn.  Originally,
he had the jets soldered on the bell.  He found that the flames would
melt the solder and it would drip on him -- ouch!!

He, when not wasting his time in Hollywood, has been a sousaphone
regular at the Burning Man Festival.  I have a clip of him at BM before
he started working with the flaming dancers.

To my knowledge, he has never seen Gannett's flaming horn.

All the best, Gary