[Dixielandjazz] Gig in Israel for Trumpet, Bone or Banjo

Ministry of Jazz jazzmin at actcom.net.il
Sun Jul 30 21:33:42 PDT 2006

Now here's a long shot...

By any chance, is anyone planning to be in Israel, or willing to come, on
August 17, a Thursday evening? Doctor Jazz has a wedding gig -- not the main
reception party, but the 1 1/2 to 2 hours while the guests are arriving
before the ceremony, possibly including playing processional and recessional
numbers. My banjo player can't make it, and he and I are the only tenor
players in the country!

The job is for 4 players, and we must be mobile, so no piano or drums. I
have a tuba and clarinet/sop sax player, and me so far. I could be on banjo,
and then I can get a washboardist, but then I have no upper brass. The
clarinet player is brilliant on jazz accompaniment, but has never been the
lead horn player in our band. My young Israeli bone player is not up for
doing a wedding yet. I would risk it if I had the banjo player and me to
give the band a solid backbone, but he definitely cannot be a lead horn
player. There are not a lot of brass players in Israel except in the
symphony orchestras or police and army bands. (Wow, this is starting to
sound like the old high school logic problem in math class, with the farmer
and his fox, chicken and grain.)

Anyway, if I can get someone on trumpet, trombone or banjo, I could cover
one or more of the others and we'd be fine. I can pay about $100. Sorry,
can't cover travel expenses! But if anyone is going to be here and wants a
chance to play, it will be a great and memorable experience. The wedding
will be outdoors in a lovely event garden in the Judean Hills outside
Jerusalem. You can bring your own ax or use one of mine.

Elazar "Don't say I never offered you a gig" Brandt

Dr. Jazz Dixieland Band
Tekiya Trumpet Ensemble
Jerusalem, Israel
www.israel.net/ministry-of-jazz
+972-2-679-2537

P.S. If the war is still going on, I just might be able to get you in on a
trip to perform for people in bomb shelters up north while we're at it. Now
there's an offer you can't refuse!