[Dixielandjazz] Axes :) as carry-on luggage

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Sat Jul 29 15:29:45 PDT 2006

Many home owners policy's will not cover anything used for business and
especially musical instruments.  A hobbyist is covered but a pro isn't
that's why AFofM has a musical instrument policy available.  By the time you
pay for a written appraisal and the insurance it might not be worth it.
Musicians unfortunately are a pretty irresponsible lot, at least as viewed
by the underwriters and  when down on their luck might get their instruments
conveniently "stolen".

I did collect on a flute I had loaned to my niece.  Her home was destroyed
by a tornado and I got a new flute out of the deal.

It's been some years since I checked with homeowners but when I did I had to
get appraisals and then they turned me down.

Personally I have only had one instrument stolen from the back seat of my
car.  I had to pay the pawn ticket of $45 to get it back.  A rather
interesting point of law was made to me at that time.  I assumed that since
it was stolen I could get it back.  Not so.  Technically it doesn't become
stolen property until the thief is caught and found guilty thus proving the
theft.  They said I might have pawned it myself and was just trying to bilk
the pawnshop owner.  Oh well, I got the horn back.

Actually I wouldn't have gone to the trouble if it had been mine but it
belonged to the School that I was teaching at.  I had taken it to the shop
for repair and was bringing it back.  The business agent raised hell with me
and I told him that in the future they could do all the leg work and so over
the next many years I saved a lot of gas and time by refusing to be a
delivery service too.  So actually in the long run I came out ahead on the
deal.
Larry
St. Louis