[Dixielandjazz] Negativity and Jazz Critics

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 28 07:29:36 PDT 2006

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis at larrys.bands at charter.net wrote:

> Normally I have not been asked to critique a jazz CD but a former student
> and good friend asked me to listen to his first CD and let him know what I
> think.  Now this is about the same as a newspaper or other media asking a
> critic to write something.
>
> In this instance he has teamed up with a Sax player that is better than I
> ever hope to be but here's the catch.  The guy has copied the Kenny G style
> so perfectly that I can't tell them apart.  Now does the world need another
> Kenny G? or Frank Sinatra or any other person who has hit big?

Apparently the world does need another Kenny G. There are countless clones
of him out there, many earning a good living thereby. If he sounds exactly
like G., and gets a break or two, he will be as successful as you can be,
earnings wise, in jazz.

> Actually the
> CD is pretty good with some technical problems that should have been
> addressed before running off a thousand or so.
>
> Should I tell him it was great or should I point out the technical or
> musical problems with the CD so he doesn't make the same error twice?

You should tell him what you think, except perhaps, for the Kenny G. opinion
which goes personal taste and not universal taste.

> There is a lot of good jazz out there but there is also a lot of bad jazz
> too.  If you only say good things you aren't being fair to the readers and
> worse to yourself.

I agree. But remember what the critic's article said in effect was, "If I
can't say something good, then I'll say nothing." The critic was not
reviewing records he did not like any more. Only those he did like and so he
was being fair to readers and himself.

> It's the same thing if a teacher only gives A's and B's because he doesn't
> want to upset the little darlings or their parents.

No, different situation. teachers are supposed to teach everyone in the
class. And there are supposed standards of performance in order to be
promoted on to the next grade.  Reviewers rarely have to review every
record, movie, or whatever.

> Critics don't take the Hippocratic Oath and swear to do no harm but are paid
> (usually) to do a job and can't pick and choose.  If you can pick and choose
> then more power to you.

Agreed. He could pick & choose so like you say, more power to him.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone