[Dixielandjazz] Negativity and Jazz Critics

Larry Walton Entertainment - St. Louis larrys.bands at charter.net
Thu Jul 27 21:16:56 PDT 2006

Normally I have not been asked to critique a jazz CD but a former student
and good friend asked me to listen to his first CD and let him know what I
think.  Now this is about the same as a newspaper or other media asking a
critic to write something.

In this instance he has teamed up with a Sax player that is better than I
ever hope to be but here's the catch.  The guy has copied the Kenny G style
so perfectly that I can't tell them apart.  Now does the world need another
Kenny G? or Frank Sinatra or any other person who has hit big?  Actually the
CD is pretty good with some technical problems that should have been
addressed before running off a thousand or so.

Should I tell him it was great or should I point out the technical or
musical problems with the CD so he doesn't make the same error twice?

There is a lot of good jazz out there but there is also a lot of bad jazz
too.  If you only say good things you aren't being fair to the readers and
worse to yourself.

It's the same thing if a teacher only gives A's and B's because he doesn't
want to upset the little darlings or their parents.

Critics don't take the Hippocratic Oath and swear to do no harm but are paid
(usually) to do a job and can't pick and choose.  If you can pick and choose
then more power to you.
Larry Walton
St. Louis