[Dixielandjazz] Banjo, historically African?

DWSI at aol.com DWSI at aol.com
Wed Jul 26 14:35:10 PDT 2006

In a message dated 7/26/2006 3:21:40 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dixielandjazz-request at ml.islandnet.com writes:

Perhaps  we need to explain this bit of banjo history at gigs? :-)  VBG.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Steve:

Please enlighten me on this one. I had read somewhere that the two types of
banjos had different origins. The 4-string was African, string over a gord
origins, but the 5-string came out of the SE mountains settled by Scots. The 5th
 string was supposed to be the drone, and used to simulate a bagpipe. Is this
all  wrong?

Dan (Backup pianoman) Spink