[Dixielandjazz] Atlanta Blues / Make Me A Pallet On The Floor

Gary Kiser gary at kiser.org
Tue Jul 25 15:09:55 PDT 2006

Robert S. Ringwald with great wisdom and talent wrote:

> <snip>
>
> For instance, "Atlanta Blues" is also known as "Make Me a Pallet On
> The Floor."
>
> <snip>

Funny, I was going to ask about this.  Actually, from my understanding,
only the second strain of Atlanta Blues is called Make Me a Pallet On
The Floor.  Atlanta Blues has a 16 bar first strain.

Atlanta Blues is credited to WCH Handy.  Yet, when I see MMAPOTF played
without Atlanta Blue's verse, it is noted as traditional.  What's the
scoop?  Did WCH write MMAPOTF or not??

The Baudoin book has Atlanta Blues in F written by WCH but notes that
the second strain is MMAPOTF arranged by WCH.  But, later on, you'll
find MMAPOTF in Bb tagged as traditional.

A google on MMAPOTF brings up multitudes to lyrics sung by country
singers.  Check 'em out.

http://sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiPALLTFLR;ttPALLTFLR.html
http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/watson-doc/make-me-a-pallet-on-the-floor-1499.html
http://www.cowboylyrics.com/lyrics/welch-gillian/make-me-a-pallet-on-your-floor-1284.html
http://deva.clearlight.com/~acsa/introjs.htm?/~acsa/songfile/MAKEMEAP.HTM

Oh, Bob, the title of that Bechet tune is Si Tu Vois Ma Mère.

Many composers renamed tunes to cash in on ASCAP & BMI royalties.  This
is probably the case with Bechet's "Pleasure Mad" (1924) and "Viper Mad"
(1938).

All the best, Gary