[Dixielandjazz] Hooking Cows

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Mon Jul 24 07:44:32 PDT 2006

"Robert Smith" <robert.smith at tele2.no> wrote

> I'm confused by titles. I don't mean as in the present discussion. Having been
> born and raised in England I'm not easily able to understand Southern States
> slang. So, having no idea what a "hooking cow" is, and as the tune as played
> by "Handy's Orchestra Of Memphis" has no vocal, I'm at a loss to know where to
> look for an answer.
>
> The only reference I found on Google was this:
> "Oh, the hooking cow!" exclaimed the child, almost dropping her pail of
> buttermilk. ...
> from "Stories for Girls". Could this be a euphemism for a stronger expression?
>
> Has anyone published a dictionary of Southern States slang? If so, I'd be very
> interested in some information about this.

Maybe the "hooking" cow is one that hooks a horn into you? Like impales you?
Or stomps you? Like the famous University of Texas cheer at athletic events;
"Hook em horns!" The U. Texas teams are nick named "Longhorns" which refers
to a breed of cattle with widespread horns.

Or at a bullfight, a hooking cow (bull) might be one that charges the red
cape straight on and then hooks at the last moment and impales the matador.

Then again, the cow may refer to a hooker . . . like in working girl? Hard
to say which is correct, if either.

Cheers,
Steve