[Dixielandjazz] jazz tour in Europe

Tito Martino tmartino at terra.com.br
Sun Jul 23 22:37:51 PDT 2006

Hi, list mates,

I'm glad to be back again to the DJML, here am I, after 37 days, back
home again in São Paulo Brazil,  just arrived last week.    I am
disconnected since 60 days, and there are some good fellows in this list
that may be interested to know what I was doing, and after all, there is
Jazz Life outside the DJML !!!    ROFL   :-)

I am out of the DJML since the beggining of June, because my Band was
invited to play at the Dixieland Festival in Cantanhede, Portugal.   See
more about the Festival at:
http://www.internationaldixielandfestivalcantanhede.com/fidc/
(Put on your sound, because in the backgroud it's some astounding
big-band swinging like mad, please if you know tell me what Band it is!)

It's a version in English, and there is some pics of my Band the Tito
Martino Jazz Band, at
http://www.internationaldixielandfestivalcantanhede.com/fidc/fidc2006_ING/titomartino.asp

There in Cantanhede I played with my Band having Jesse Lindgren from
Sweden as a special guest;  more about Jesse's Classic Jazz Band at:
_http://www.jesse.nu/_  .    The fact that he played his wonderful
trombone with my Band in the Festival was a great pleasure to we all,
and helped definitely my Brazilian Jazz Band to be considered one of the
best Bands in the III Cantanhede International Dixieland Festival spite
of excellent Bands from Portugal, Italy, Spain, Holland and England.
Our list-mate Ivor Jones was also there, with his international Band
based in Portugal.

After Cantanhede, my Band went home to Brazil and I took a flight to
Stockholm.  Thanks to Jesse Lindgren, I was able to enjoy a great stay
in Sweden, and all the good things he arranged and provided for me,
including having me as a guest at his home.    In Stockolm, I played
with the Sveriges Jazzband of the good trumpetist Eddie Bruhner, in a
restaurant at the top of a hill, overlooking all the town.   After
leaving Stockholm, I went with Jesse to Lynkoping and to the Festival at
Askersund.

Knowing and playing with the great trumpet man (recorded "50 Hot Jazz
Chorus by Louis Armstrong") Bent Persson's Band in Lynkoping was a
remarkable experience, he is indeed a great guy and a true jazzman,  and
he also lend his car for Jesse and me, to travel to Askersund.    The
Festival there was for me another surprise, with hot weather,  many
Bands parading in the streets, and Jesse opening the Festival at the big
square making the MC of the whole Festival and Maestro of more than
twelve Bands , side by side with the Major.    He is indeed famous in
Sweden, he led a Radio-Jazz program in Stockholm for 15 years.   Playing
with the Gota River Jazz Band in a Riverboat was another great
experience; great Band, great fellows, great public, wonderful views.
Very enjoyable our conversation with wine and pizza after the gig.  Our
list-mate Ingemar Wägerman plays the swinging piano in that Band, you
can see more at:   _http://listen.to/gotariver_

I played some numbers in a Church with Jesse's Band, but closing the
Festival late that night with Jesse's Classic Jazz Band was a pleasure
and also an honor for me, as I was aware of the high musical level of
the players and noticed the importance of the Band in the whole context
of the Festival.    In the whole, I learned and learned and I'm bringing
home some important memories that will be useful in the future.

Following my traveling plan, I went to Genéve and to Bern, where I had
lived for 9 years, there I saw my daughters and my  starting-to-walk
grandson, cooked some good Italian food to them all, and the 29 June I
was invited by my old friends of my former Band in Swiss 15 years ago,
the Bogalusa New Orleans Jazzband (we recorded a LP for George H. Buck,
of New Orleans), to play with them at the Rapperswil Jazz and Blues
Festival;  there we played open air, in a stage near the lake, to a
joyful audience.  Hot weather, lots of cold beer.

The 4th July I flew to Wien, where I met at the airport my old friend
the banjo player Erwin Frassine.  He took me to the cute small Hotel in
the center town of old Wien, where I stayed for 5 days and 6 nights as a
guest of the Jazzland, famous Jazz Club celebrating it's 34th
anniversary and where I played the 8th July with the Red Hot Pods,
leaded by Erwin.  It's a truly great Jazz Band, and many of it's present
members where my guests 30 years ago playing at my former Jazz Club OPUS
2004, in São Paulo. It was the last time I had seen them !   I learned
that in the mean time they had played and recorded with the likes of Art
Hodes, Jim Gallaway, Ed Polcer, Allan Vaché, Wild Bill Davison, Kenny
Davern, Albert Nicholas, Cynthia Sayer, Ralph Sutton....     I was
scared....      But our gig at the Jazzland went very well.  I hope the
live recording made don't prove to be otherwise....     In Wien I played
also with members of the Red Hot Pods in a Riverboat cruising the
Danube.   More about the Red Hot Pods at:  _http://www.redhotpods.at/

_The 10 July I took the flight back to São Paulo via Lisboa, but not
without visiting there the impressive St. George Castle and eating once
more a delicious bacalhau (stockfish) with strong portuguese red wine.
__
All in all, it was a rewarding trip, I made some important contacts to
organize a next tour,  I enjoyed and learned a lot, and I'm aware it all
was only possible because of the care and help of many good friends -and
some mates from this list.
My best thanks to all.

I sent part of this report before, to Ingemar and to some relatives of
mine, but here it is for DJML.

keep on swingin',

Tito Martino

__