[Dixielandjazz] Horn Parts and Rags

Don Kirkman donsno2 at wavecable.com
Sat Jul 22 14:48:30 PDT 2006

On Sat, 22 Jul 2006 14:58:37 -0400, Ron L'Herault wrote:

>Blacking up was not shameful in and of itself.  Much of it was theatrical
>and that is all.  Think of clown make up, vivid white, big red lips.  Are
>they racially motivated (anti-Caucasian)?  In theater/movies, parts were
>played.  Masks were donned.  Make-up and disguises applied.  Jolson, Cantor,
>and others were minstrels, actors, comedians, not necessarily racists.  We
>see it in a racist light.   "Darktown Strutters Ball" is about a guy wanting
>to dance with his girl.   It could have been in Germantown or Frenchtown
>too.

True.  Both Blacks and Whites blacked up for the stage and both Blacks
and Whites wrote and performed "Coon" songs.  The motives of the Blacks
and those of the Whites were not necessarily the same, but the language,
the customs, and the music reflected their times, not ours.  IMO it's
one thing to understand and enjoy what they produced and another to work
toward never having anything like it dominate our entertainment or
culture again.

[. . .]
--
Don Kirkman