[Dixielandjazz] Horn Parts and Rags

Tony Pringle tonypringle at comcast.net
Sat Jul 22 04:41:07 PDT 2006

Hi,

Interesting discussion. The Black Eagles have played and still do a
number of rags. We used to play The Entertainer which followed the
version recorded by Papa Mutt Carey's band with Ed Hall - this was
the same form used later by Ken Colyer.

We also did a version of Scott Joplin's New Rag - this was arranged
by Tommy Sancton and was based on the piano version. We still use
this arrangement.

Sometime in the 1970s we contacted Tulane University for written
parts - I think these were probably from the Red Backed Book of Rags
and I would presume these parts are still available. We obtained
parts for The Chrysantemum, Cataract Rag, Kinklets, Sensation, etc.
We found some sections had the lead carried by a violin which we did
not have. Some adaption was needed and we generally opted for a
cornet lead.

The interesting thing was that I had learned my part for Kinklets
years before from the Ken Colyer version and found that it fitted in
very nicely with the written parts from Tulane.

We also recorded The Maple Leaf Rag, but used as a basis the Kid Ory
version - once again this had a cornet lead.

It seems that you can have cornet, clarinet or even trombone lead on
some strain as a way to vary the treatment. You can choose to play
the original parts as written or pass the lead around to get your own
sound.

Good luck with whatever approach you choose.

Regards,

Tony Pringle
--
Leader, New Black Eagle Jazz Band