[Dixielandjazz] Horn Parts and Rags

Hal Vickery hvickery at svs.com
Fri Jul 21 22:21:23 PDT 2006

You don't have to look too far back to see some pretty (at least to modern
eyes) disgusting things.  For example, "Coon songs" (and they weren't
referring to those furry animals with rings on their tails) were found in
record catalogs as late as the 1920s.  Some of them were pretty disgusting.
I found out about the UCSB cylinder restoration project on this list, and
among the titles I found from the first decade of the 20th Century was a
"Coon Song" by "Collins and Harlan" on the Edison label called N***** Loves
His Possum.

I watched a 1934 James Cagney movie the other day in which Cagney goes AWOL
from his ship by blackening his face.  Irving Berlin put on a blackface
minstrel show in "This Is the Army" during World War II.  Al Jolson put on
blackface (as did Larry Parks) for "The Jolson Story" in the late '40s.

"Darktown Strutters Ball" isn't about the lights being out.  The original
lyrics to the verse of "Old Man River" (1927) began, "N*****s all work on
the Mississippi."  I remember we had old music of that in chorus that had
those original lyrics.  (God only knows how long they were in the school's
music library.)  Oh, and the part of Queenie in Show Boat was played by
"Aunt Jemima," aka Tess Gardella, who was definitely not an African
American.

Oh, the musical my school put on my senior year was Show Boat.  The cast was
all white, meaning a lot of kids had a lot of make up on, especially the
stevedores.  (And who can forget that Armstrong record "Dusky Stevedore"?
Or for that matter "Shine," which wasn't talking about the reflection off
his shoes.)

There is a lot of pretty shameful stuff if you look back at the history of
American entertainment.

Hal Vickery