[Dixielandjazz] Horn Parts on Rags

glen page gpage at dccnet.com
Fri Jul 21 16:19:17 PDT 2006

Hello all,

I'm surprised that one of our U.K. friends has not come up with what was at
the time a very highly regarded session by "T he Guv'nor" in 1958. Only 4
tunes were recorded, Kinklets, Fig Leaf Rag, Heliotrope Bouquet and
Sensation.Subsequently, in1970, a later version of Colyer's band did a whole
LP, "Ragtime Revisited".

The first session showed Ken's appreciation of the early music and nearly 50
years on it is still a lesson in tasteful interpretation of the early
ragtime tunes by a band, albeit not a fully fledged almost symphonic group
as exemplified by the "Red Back Book" lps previously mentioned.

Cheers, Glen Page.