[Dixielandjazz] Horn Parts on Rags

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 21 14:36:11 PDT 2006

Mike <mike at railroadstjazzwest.com> asked

> When you play a tune like Maple Leaf Rag or something like that, is it
> mostly done with or without horns? By college music director thinks it's
> not good to use horns on rags. What do you guys think?

> RICK KNITTEL answered: <knittelsportland at juno.com>

> LISTEN TO LU WATTERS YERBA BUENA JAZZ BAND'S 1941 RENDITION OF MAPLE
> LEAF RAG AND SEE WHAT YOU THINK.

Heh, Heh. Yeah Rick, but that was Lu Watters Yerba Buena and there ain't
many bands around that play with their fire and energy these days. :-) VBG

Actually, Mike, Tex Wyndham's Red Lion Band (local in Delaware USA) does the
tune frequently as a feature for their stride pianist Jon Williams.

The routine is a call and response.

Piano plays intro & A section once, band plays A section once, piano plays B
section, once, band plays B section once. Ditto for C & D sections. Piano
ends with intro, band hits last 2 bars with piano, stinger at the end.

Works fine.

You might pass on to your college music director what Thelonious Monk said
about jazz: "Just when you're sure something can't be done, somebody will
come along and do it."

And have him read up on James Reese Europe, whose 105 piece Ragtime
Orchestra played at Carnegie Hall circa 1912. I believe their pianist was
Eubie Blake. I also believe they probably played Maple Leaf Rag since it was
the biggest Ragtime hit of that era. (1900 to 1920)

Cheers,
Steve