[Dixielandjazz] Little Rock Getaway

Steve Barbone barbonestreet at earthlink.net
Thu Jul 20 12:52:27 PDT 2006

 Haupt Dave <srdaven at yahoo.com> wrote:

> When I lived in Denver and Dick Gibson was running the
> KADX radio station, he and other DJs often played a
> version of Little Rock Getaway with Billy Maxted on
> piano.  I seem to recall that it was a solo piece, and
> a rather impressive display of technical capabilities.
>
> After years of searching, I finally found an album
> with the tune on it.  It's by "Billy Maxted and his
> Manhattan Jazz Band".  The album title is "The Art of
> Jazz" and contains "Little Rock Getaway".  However,
> the version of the tune on that album is certainly not
> the one I remember.  It's a decent trad arrangement
> with the band and piano exchanging commentary on the
> tune, but frankly, the contribution by piano is not
> stellar.
>
> I've been wondering if the version of the tune I'm
> remembering might be on an album with someone else as
> the leader, other than Billy Maxted.
>
> Does anybody know the rendition of which I write?

Could it have been Joe Sullivan, the composer of LRG? I saw him perform it
every time I went to Jimmy Ryans in NYC (1950s) and he was intermission
pianist. It was always requested from the fans there and he played the hell
out of it.

It was on an early album of his (1952/53) and then reissued by Riverside
about 1960/61.

Cheers,
Steve Barbone

Cheers,