[Dixielandjazz] Re: Critics

LeslieMRag at aol.com LeslieMRag at aol.com
Wed Jul 19 16:52:25 PDT 2006

So then why do musicians send review copies of CDs to publications, and why
do they protest when they aren't mentioned in festival reviews? Why not just
take out an ad? Running reviews is the pits as far as publishers are concerned
because there's always someone who doesn't like a recording that gets a rave
review and always someone who loves a recording that gets a lukewarm review.
I've even had musicians complain when they got a rave review because they didn't
think the CD was that good, and I've had to pass on CDs sent to us by good
musicians who sometimes send us inferior CDs not indicative of their usual
performances. It's a really difficult situation for the publisher....a free service
provided with the potential for landmines all over the place.

Leslie Johnson
lesliemrag at aol.com
www.mississippirag.com