[Dixielandjazz] Glenn Miller's Last Flight....The Final Word?

DnBoy152 at aol.com DnBoy152 at aol.com
Mon Jul 17 11:19:09 PDT 2006

The PBS documentary "Glenn Miller's Last Flight" was broadcast by our PBS
station in June and I TV-O'D it and just viewed it last night.  It is a one
hour broadcast, I couldn't catch a production date,  They do a good job of
contrasting recent footage with old Miller band clips.  Trigger Alpert and  Jerry
Jerome (and many others) are interviewed.

The main information comes from a British pilot named Fred Shaw who sez  he
saw a small plane crash on Dec. 15, 1944 in the English Channel, that  must
have been the plane that Miller was on.

That morning was foggy, delaying the take off of bombers and the small  plane
that Miller was on.  The fog cleared allowing take off of all the  bombers
and Miller's plane.  However, the fighter escorts, leaving from  another airport
were not allowed to take off due to heavy fog in their  area.

So, with no escorts the bombers were called back and since they can't land
with the load of bombs told to drop them in a zone in the channel that was used
 for that purpose.  Mr. Shaw saw a small plane below them get hit by one of
their bombs.

Further recent studies show that Miller's plane was the only plane downed  in
the channel that day, and that the two flight paths would have been  close
enough for this to happen, especially since the small plane was using a
magnetic compass that could easily be off by 10 degrees or so.

So, the film producers are certain that this was Glenn Miller's plane and
how he died.  They also mention the other rumors that have been on the list  in
the last few days.  The video is available from PBS Home Video.

Also, about 3 weeks ago, Paul Harvey gave this same information on his
syndicated radio show "The Rest of the Story" which I happened to hear.

So, that is the latest from South Bend on the Miller Story.

Don Boyer...