[Dixielandjazz] A fine player - info please

John Petters johnpetters at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Jul 16 09:46:36 PDT 2006

Jeffmatthews111 at aol.com wrote:

> I recently bought a used CD of Ken Colyer playing in quartet mode back in
> 1985 at the London Pizza Express. The clarinet player was Jean-Francois Bonnel.
> What a very fine player he is.
>
> Does anyone have more information about him please.

I worked on two recording sessions with Jean-Francoise in 1986 with Wild
Bill Davison. Dave Bennett did quite a few recordings of him at that
time. He was a fine young player with lots of drive. He played great
soprano saxophone. I don't know what he did after that although I heard
he had gone into modern jazz.
John Petters
www.traditional-jazz.com